Observing Science Exemplars in the Performance-Based Classroom
The Classroom Modeling session demonstrates the implementation of inquiry-based tasks, assessment and the communication process across all levels. This professional opportunity was developed in response to numerous requests for Exemplars trainers to exercise Exemplars tasks in participants' classrooms.
- A working portfolio lesson that addresses the request of the classroom teacher(s). The lesson may focus on a particular content area, strategy or science investigation.
- Questioning students about their thinking in order to generate connections and to communicate student reasoning both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrating differentiated instruction
- Guiding students towards self-assessment
- Building student confidence and interest in inquiry-based investigations and communication
- Utilizing Exemplars investigations for introducing scientific content, scientific language and connections, and to encourage scientific discussion
I work as a math/science facilitator going into elementary classrooms across the district with the main emphasis being problem solving strategies and advanced thinking questions -- A colleague shared a few sample Exemplars -- they have been amazing to use with kids. Teachers want to know where the ideas are coming from so they can continue along this same line. Great product!
There is more than enough in each activity for a teacher, even one without a great deal of science background, to plan high-quality, inquiry-based lessons and assess student performance with confidence ... This program will provide an invaluable service to schools ...