Looking at Number and Operations: Place Value, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division
Many teachers end units of study having given their best effort in helping students compute accurately with understanding and fluency. Yet, many students still struggle with basic whole-number computation and understanding when to use which operation. This "Make and Take" workshop is designed to provide teachers with innovative, research-based alternatives to help students develop conceptual understanding of additive and multiplicative reasoning.
- Explore new strategies for developing conceptual understanding of additive and multiplicative reasoning
- Support students' abilities to:
- Apply the properties of place value in mathematical thinking
- Compose and decompose numbers to support fluency
- Calculate using the four operations
- Engage in hands-on activities, manipulatives, and applicable math games
- Engage in conceptual activities and applicable math games
- Use manipulatives, graphic organizers, number lines, pattern blocks, arrow cards, and number fans
- Create and take home classroom resources to use with your students
- Practice techniques learned
Thank you for the great hands-on ideas!
I think the Exemplars are great. My students have really done well with word problems since I have started using some of the Exemplars.