The Performance-Based Classroom: What to Look For and How to Support Your Teachers
This workshop provides an opportunity for leaders and administrators to understand the basics of performance-based assessment and instruction and scientific inquiry in their schools' classrooms and to support teachers with the process.
- Discuss ways to move scientific inquiry and communication forward as a whole staff
- Discuss what to look for in a performance-based classroom and how to question students about their scientific inquiry and communication
- Define the vocabulary of scientific-inquiry assessment and communication
- Define the types of assessment that an educator incorporates in her/his teaching
- Study and apply the Exemplars Standards-Based Science Rubric
- Link the Exemplars science inquiries and scoring rubric to state grade-level expectations depth of knowledge, state release items, etc.
Teaching STEM proved to be very time consuming last year, and I love the [Exemplars] task on breathing because the student gets to investigate the real-life situation instead of just watching!!
Your work is fantastic! We are looking for a way to monitor the growth of a student as a scientist from grade to grade. Your rubrics will help us to begin this important work.