Developing Leadership Capacity for the Common Core
This workshop is designed to give math teams, coaches, and mentors the tools they need to support their colleagues in implementing performance-based assessment and instruction to support the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Content and Mathematical Practice effectively in their schools.
- Learn what to look for in a performance-based mathematics classroom
- Review Exemplars Standards-Based Math Rubric
- Assess student work to build reliability and validity with Exemplars assessment rubric
- Assess student work at the individual/class grade/school/district level to determine:
- What do we know our students know?
- How well are our students performing?
- Why are our students performing this way?
- What do our students need to relearn, practice?
- What do we learn about our teaching?
- What are our next steps for these students?
- Discuss possible actions for supporting peers
- Use samples of student work to share strategies (questioning, connections, representation, mathematical language, etc.) necessary to raise students to the Practitioner level (meeting the standard) and beyond
- Begin/Develop an assessment system that supports CCSSMHow well are our students performing?
- Select performance tasks for working portfolios. What do our students need to relearn, practice?
- Select performance tasks for assessment portfolios
- Select grade-level/school/district anchor papers
- Discuss calibration/scoring sessions
Thank you — to coin a phrase — This old dog learned some new tricks!
The presenter was extremely knowledgeable and has traveled all over the world for the purpose of finding strategies to help students understand numbers!