What to Look For and How to Support Your Teachers
This workshop provides an opportunity for leaders and administrators to understand the basics of standards-based assessment and instruction and problem solving in their schools' classrooms and to support teachers with the process.
- Discuss what to look for in a standards-based classroom and how to question students about their mathematical problem solving and communication
- Discuss ways to move mathematical problem solving and communication forward as a whole staff
- Define the vocabulary of mathematical problem solving, assessment and communication
- Define the types of assessment that an educator incorporates in her/his teaching
- Study and apply the Exemplars assessment rubric
- Link performance tasks and the Exemplars assessment rubric to Common Core grade-level expectations (depth of knowledge, state release items, etc.)
- Support and engage teachers in discussion around the Common Core Mathematical Practices. Address questions and concerns.