Math, K - 5
Deb Armitage is one of Exemplars primary task creators and editors for Pre K–5 math material. She has been consulting for Exemplars since 1997. Deb holds a Master's Degree in Education from Lesley College and a Master's Degree in Elementary Mathematics from the University of Vermont.
Deb enjoys teaching problem solving to children. With over 30 years of experience at the elementary level, she profoundly believes in improving mathematics education for all students. She brings additional expertise as a former assistant principal and has worked for the Vermont Department of Education and the Vermont Institutes in the area of mathematics.
Her responsibilities with the Department of Education included: the Vermont Mathematics Portfolio Assessment Program (resource development, calibration, training and facilitating 27 network leaders/benchmark members), assessment (NSRE and the NECAP), developing the state's grade-level expectations, working with schools identified as needing technical assistance (action planning mentoring, modeling of mathematics, content instruction).
Some of Deb's additional experience includes:
- Public School Approval visiting team member
- Independent School visiting team member
- Co-chair of district science curriculum
- Co-director of the Eisenhower Grant for school districts
- Research and Design Center start-up committee
- Local Standard's Board member and co-chair
- Arts and Humanities Commission of the Vermont Common Core member
- Co-director of local scoring for a school district with 10 elementary schools
- Vermont Mathematics Network Leader/Benchmark member
- Action Plan/Instructional Support committee member
- Supervision teacher for student teachers
- Graduate School instructor
- VT DOE elementary mathematics consultant to Singapore
- Working on Common Core initiatives
Awards and Nominations
- Vermont Teacher of the Year Runner-up, 1994
- Presidential Award of Excellence in Teaching Mathematics Recipient, 1995